Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Final Thoughts...


Over the course of this class I have continued to learn a great deal about Assistive Technology and its essential place in not only schools, but in my own classroom. I must admit that at the beginning of both of these courses, AT was not a world where I was comfortable or familiar. I now feel more confident, and am looking forward to the incorporation of all types of AT into my classroom. One of the things that stood out to me in terms of student learning was to always presume confidence not only in non-verbal students, but in all students. This is a message that is loud and clear, but that is sadly sometimes not heard. I think it is one that we need to always be mindful of.

One thing that I am excited about is the possibilities of using I-Pod Touch! I am sensing a future where I-Pod touches will come in class sets like calculators do today...and I don't think we're that far away! After seeing first hand all of the possibilities that an I-Pod can offer a student, I am eager to get this ball rolling. I can say the same for students using mp3 players to create and record their own movies using movie maker. I am beginning to think of curriculum and where I might want to incorporate the use of this technology.

I realize that money plays a huge role in the effective and realistic implementation of AT into schools...But I have also been astonished by the amount of Low-Tech AT that can be created just from items from the dollar store. This was a fantastic experience and I gained many ideas from my classmates about how to best meet the needs of a student, at virtually no cost. A little creativity goes a long way.

Another great course, and though I know the learning continues, I am inspired.